Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2009 afterthoughts

It dawned on me last night that I am almost done here. I will pack all of my stuff tomorrow evening, so I am ready to go Friday morning. I will bring my luggage to school with me Friday morning because I leave straight from school to the shuttle bus for Guatemala City. I will stay one night there in a hostel and they will shuttle me to the airport Saturday morning for my flight home.
The other thing that just occurred to me is; I have not seen a single microwave... When I think about it, there are other things as well that I have not seen; big screen TV's, full size cars, trucks, or SUV's, and no "wanna be thugs" hanging around on street corners. There are very few refrigerators here and even fewer freezers. Most people have a stove (propane) but use their traditional wood fired stove for cooking.
Also, when you walk through the streets of San Pedro, you here "clap clap clap", take a few more steps and here it again, but from somewhere else. You might have to walk a block or maybe a few steps, but always here it. I finally figured it out; they make all of the tortillas by hand and clapping is the final flattening out of the tortilla...

No comments:

Post a Comment